- Soft, warm and comforting, homemade bread is one of the cheapest and best homemade recipes you can learn to make. This homemade bread recipe really is the best homemade bread recipe I've ever tried! Give it a try and we're sure you'll agree too! White Bread, whole wheat bread and gluten free bread options too!
- Homemade Bread Recipe - Gluten Free, White or Whole Wheat Options
Soft, warm and comforting, homemade bread is one of the cheapest and best homemade recipes you can learn to make. This homemade bread recipe really is the best homemade bread recipe I’ve ever tried! Give it a try and we’re sure you’ll agree too! White Bread, whole wheat bread and gluten free bread options too!
There is just something that is so very satisfying about biting into a warm, buttery slice of your favorite homemade bread. Hot out of the oven with the butter all melty, it is just a comfort level that you can’t find anywhere else.
And let’s not forget the smell of homemade bread baking and how amazing it makes your home smell.
But tasty homemade bread really does require the best homemade bread recipe because otherwise it just isn’t quite right.
Just ask anyone who has made a bad bread recipe before.
Find the perfect bread recipe though and you will not only feed yourself and your family, but you’ll do it with amazing flavor that can be passed down for generations.
This recipe? Well, it really is the best bread recipe I have ever tried and trust me; I have tried a lot of them.
Want to know why? The secret ingredient; bacon grease instead of regular oil.
Why Use Bacon Grease in a Bread Recipe?
Why not? There are so many ways to use bacon grease, but one of the best is in your baking. In the case of this particular recipe, it gives your homemade bread just enough of a smoky flavor to send your taste buds over the moon!
No, it’s not overpowering and no, your homemade bread will not taste like bacon.
I mean; I don’t necessarily think that would be a bad thing though. Just my $0.02 though.
Can I Make Homemade Wheat Bread or Homemade White Bread with This Recipe?
Yes! You can! Part of the reason I think this really is the best bread recipe ever is that it is so versatile! You can mix and match you flours, you can use all all-purpose flour or you can use all whole wheat flour!
It really is up to you what type of homemade bread you want to make. No matter whether you choose to use this as a homemade white bread recipe or a homemade wheat bread recipe, I am sure it will be the best loaf of bread you’ve ever made.
Can I Make Homemade Gluten-Free Bread?
Again, yes! To make the best homemade gluten free bread you’ll ever taste, simply swap the flour out for gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour. My personal favorite is THIS King Arthur Brand. My baked goods turn out simply amazing when I use it and my family never knows they’re gluten free.
How to Freeze Homemade Bread
This homemade bread recipe freezes extremely well and is simple to protect in the freezer. That makes it perfect for a monthly baking day that lasts all week or even longer. It will keep in the freezer for approximately a month provided it’s protected from freezer burn.
To freeze, bake as directed and allow it to cool completely. Then, double wrap each loaf in plastic wrap. Next, wrap each loaf with a layer of freezer paper and secure with freezer tape.
Make sure that the freezer paper is completely closed and that you do not have any gaps. I recommend freezing the loaf as a whole before slicing.
To thaw, simply set the loaf out on the counter and unwrap. You can also heat it in the oven to thaw if you need it quickly.
What to Serve Homemade Bread With?
Homemade bread recipes, especially this one go great with almost anything including a plain old sandwich but it is especially good when served with a hearty meal.
For me, it is a must have alongside of my Grown Up Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe or my White Chicken Chili recipe. It just makes them taste so much more amazing! It’s also delicious alongside soup beans or bean and bacon soup too!
No matter how you eat it, it’s delicious and one try with prove me right!
Homemade Bread Recipe
Homemade Bread Recipe – Gluten Free, White or Whole Wheat Options
- 3 Large Metal Mixing Bowls
- Mixer with Dough Hook
- (4) Loaf Pans
- Wire Cooling Racks
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Pastry Scraper
- 10-12 c. flour sifted *see note
- ⅓ c. granulated white sugar
- 4 tsp. salt
- 3 packets Quick Yeast or 7 tsp.
- 6 tbsp. bacon grease
- 4 c. warm water 110°-120° F
- Preheat oven to 200°F. In a large metal mixing bowl, combine water, sugar and yeast. Stir to combine and let sit for 5-10 minutes until proofed.
- Once the yeast has proofed, heat bacon grease slowly if solid. Allow it to cool slightly and add it and salt to the proofed mixture. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours if you are using multiple types. Once combined or if you're only using one type of flour, add 5 cups flour to the yeast mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Add another 5 cups flour to the mixture and stir to combine. Once combined, scrape dough onto a smooth surface and knead for 7-10 minutes. You will know it is kneaded enough when the dough is smooth, elastic and pulls away from the surface easily. You may need to work in an additional 1-2 cups flour as you are kneading.Grease a large metal bowl, place the dough ball into the bowl and cover with foil. Turn the oven OFF and allow your dough to rise for 1 hour in the warm oven.
- After the dough has risen 1 hour, remove from the bowl and knead for 1 minute. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and place in loaf pans. Let rise in the oven for an additional hour.
- Remove the loaf pans from the oven and preheat it back up to 350°F. Bake at 350°F 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove each loaf from the pan immediately and allow to cool on wire cooling racks.