This post may contain affiliate or referral links that help keep this site running. For more information about this, please see our Disclosure Policy. As an associate of Amazon.com/Amazon.uk/Amazon.ca/and other websites, I may earn a small commission whenever you click through a link from this site. This commission helps to support this site and keep it running. Six Dollar Family is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com/Amazon.uk/Amazon.ca.
This white chicken chili recipe it the perfect fall soup recipe for your dinner table! Rich, creamy and full of flavor, you’ll beg for seconds.
Know what? It’s hot in Texas. Like fry an egg on the sidewalk hot. I am sure the rest of the country is blazing hot as well. Soon we won’t all be Sweating to the Oldies though and fall will bring cooler temps. Do you know what else fall brings? Soup recipes like this amazing white chicken chili recipe!
Here in Texas, chili is a tomato based product with hamburger or steak, peppers and seasonings. While I adore that type of chili recipe, by sometimes I just want something different.
Are you the same way?
When that happens, this white chicken chili recipe is the perfect option! It’s warm, comforting, filling and did I mention; absolutely delicious!
How to Make White Chicken Chili
I have always loved food, but I do not believe that food needs to be expensive to be delicious.
In fact, I believe quite the opposite and this chili recipe is proof of it.
It is incredibly budget (Six Dollar Family) friendly but also delicious!
I am also of the opinion that the best recipes are the ones that are easily customized so each family can really make it their own.
And you guessed it; this white chicken chili recipe can easily be made your own. You can change the spices or use chicken thighs instead of breast.
In other words, it’s your meal, make it your own.
Can you Freeze White Chicken Chili?
I wish. I adore freezer recipes, but unfortunately, white chicken chili is cream based. If you’ve never tried to freeze a cream based sauce, it doesn’t work too well.
Cream based sauces will separate when they are frozen. Unfortunately, it’ almost impossible to get them to recombine usually resulting in a soggy mess by the time you’re done.
I know. It makes me sad too. I would love to be able to freeze my Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo recipe (Six Dollar Family) but it just doesn’t turn out well.
What to Serve with White Chicken Chili?
I know this might sound odd, but we love to serve white chicken chili with a pull apart garlic bread recipe. We pull the bread apart and dip it in the chili for a flavor that meshes so well together!
Gather for Bread has an amazing pull apart garlic bread recipe HERE.
You can also serve it with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream if you’re looking for a more authentic chili experience.Jump to Recipe
You will need:
- 1 lb. chicken breast or thigh meat, cubed or shredded
- 2 tsp. garlic powder (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 2 (4 oz.) cans of chopped green chilies (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of great northern beans, rinsed and drained (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 1 (14.5 oz) box chicken broth (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 1 tsp salt (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup real heavy cream or homemade heavy cream substitute (Six Dollar Family)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (Amazon), (Thrive Market) (Dollar Tree)
- Shredded cheese to top
What Additions Can You Add to White Chicken Chili?
If you want to add extra vegetables to this white chicken chili recipe, go for it! You can add corn, tomatoes, black beans or whatever suits your fancy!
White Chicken Chili
- Sharp Kitchen Knife
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Stockpot
- Medium Skillet
- 1 lb. chicken breast or thigh meat cubed
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 4 oz cans of chopped green chilies
- 2 15 oz. cans of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz box chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Shredded cheese to top
- Rinse the chicken and remove as much fat as possible. Cube the chicken in as large or as small chunks as you want. Add chicken and garlic to a medium skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Once chicken is cooked, add beans, broth, chilies and the rest of the seasonings to a large stockpot and stir.
- Bring to a good boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and whipping cream. Once mixed well, simmer for 5 minutes then top with shredded cheese and serve hot.