Show your patriotism this summer with this super simple Stars and Strips flower planter! It’s the perfect patriotic décor for Memorial Day, July 4, and Veterans Day! Want to leave it up all year long? Go ahead! It weathers all four seasons perfectly!
My family has a long history of loving this country; and of serving it. My father was a US Marine and there are numerous other family members who have served as well. My husband is a twice deployed USAF veteran. So needless to say, we love patriotic home décor around the Williams place.
Which is one reason I adore this Stars and Stripes flower planter so very much. It fits right in! And honestly, it’s super easy to make so it allows me to indulge my ever so slightly lazy side.
I mean, really. I know I am not the only one who has that side to them sometimes.
When you make this Stars and Stripes flower planter, you have complete control over how the finished product looks. If you prefer a polished look, you’ll need to take the extra time to polish it. If, like me, you prefer a more shabby chic or weathered look, skip the extra polishing.
Is this flower planter craft kid-friendly?
Yes! Well, sort of. As written, it isn’t. However, it is incredibly simple to make it so that your kidlets can enjoy it as well!
To make kid-friendly patriotic flower planters, simply swap the larger flower planter with small terra cotta pots. Give each child their own flower pot and supplies and let them go to town!
If you are planning on using this as a kids craft, I would recommend that you also use kids art aprons so their clothing is protected if they’re not already wearing play clothes.
How Do I Protect My Stars and Stripes Flower Planter from Weather?
Keeping your planter looking great is pretty simple. Once the finished planter has had time to fully dry, simply add a coat of clear weather sealant to the outside and allow it to fully dry. Once it fully dries, it should be good to go to handle outside weather much better.
If you do plan to seal yours, be sure you do not plant anything edible in it. Weather sealant may have gotten into the inside of your planter and as such, any food grown in it, would likely be contaminated at that point.
These stars and stripes planters also make amazing gift ideas for any veteran or military family. If you make and sell things at farmer’s markets or you sell in places such as Ebay, I can speak from experience that they do well there too. Shipping can be iffy due to their weight, but for someone who really wants one, the shipping costs are worth it.
In other words, this Stars and Stripes flower planter is a great way to earn extra money when you need to.
Stars & Stripes Flower Planter
- Wash and dry the terra cotta flower pot very well. Once it has fully dried, arrange the foam stars around the rim of the flower pot.1 Large Terra Cotta Flower Pot, Foam Star Stickers
- Paint below the rim with white acrylic paint. If you prefer a more weathered look, only one coat is needed. For a more polished look, allow the first coat to dry fully then add a second coat.White Acrylic Paint
- Allow the white paint to dry fully then add four red stripes onto the white paint. Set aside to dry.Red Acrylic Paint
- Paint the entire rim of the flower pot – including over the stars – blue.Blue Acrylic Paint, Foam Star Stickers
- Using the small artists paint brush, paint each of the stars white.White Acrylic Paint
- Allow the entire thing to set a minimum of twelve hours to dry fully. If you intend to seal your stars and stripes flower pot, do so after this twelve hour period and allow it to fully dry a second time before planting.Waterproof Clear Coat
*Originally Published June 2015 – Updated May 2022