- If you are looking for the perfect appetizer, it doesn't get much easier or tasty than a tried and true classic cheese ball recipe. As far as cream cheese snack recipes go, this one is the best! It goes well at holiday parties, as a Thanksgiving dinner appetizer or any time you need a crowd favorite party appetizer! It's one of my favorite easy appetizer recipes!
- Classic Cheeseball Recipe
If you are looking for the perfect appetizer, it doesn’t get much easier or tasty than a tried and true classic cheese ball recipe. As far as cream cheese snack recipes go, this one is the best! It goes well at holiday parties, as a Thanksgiving dinner appetizer or any time you need a crowd favorite party appetizer! It’s one of my favorite easy appetizer recipes!
Once upon a time, any party or family gathering you attended had a classic cheese ball on the appetizer table. This creamy concoction is one that is hit or miss with guests. Some will love the recipe while others won’t go near it. For most, it is the perfect party appetizer since it is so quick to make and tastes amazing!
When I was younger, I would not go near a cheeseball. However, this easy cheese ball recipe, is made from simple ingredients such as cream cheese mixture, sharp cheddar cheese, chopped pecans and seasonings like onion powder or garlic powder combine to create one of the easiest appetizers you’ll ever make!
Best Way to Serve a Homemade Cheese Ball
This cream cheese ball can be served in many different ways, however the best is to serve it with your favorite crackers. I personally like to use buttery crackers such as Ritz Original Crackers. The buttery taste of the crackers really helps to bring out the richness of the cheese and sour cream with the different flavors of the seasonings and pecans mixed together.
Really. Those flavors do great things. Great things I tell you!
Other ways to serve this homemade cheeseball are:
- Celery Sticks
- Parmesan Crisps
- Black Sesame Chips
- With your favorite hot sauce
- as Mini Cheese Ball Bites
- Mini Bagels
- Bagel Chips
How to Store Classic Cheese Ball Recipes
Once your classic appetizer is made, it will need covered in a piece of plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container. If you are using your delicious cheese ball for your next gathering and need it immediately, follow the recipe below then wrap in plastic wrap. You can do this the day before as long as you serve it the next day.
If it will be more than one day before you service it, the best thing to do is to make the mixture a day or two before and keep it in an airtight container or in a large mixing bowl covered well with a piece of Saran Wrap.
This is how I fix my own and I do so for good reason. By giving the mixture time to settle in the fridge, it allows the basic ingredients to combine their flavors in a way you never expected. When you’re ready to serve it, shape it into a ball form and continue the recipe to put on the finishing touches.
No matter how you store your cheese ball, it should last a long time in the fridge. Properly stored it will last a minimum of 7-days. After this, you should give it a taste before consuming to be sure it hasn’t spoiled.
What Additions Can I Add to This Cheddar Cheese Ball Recipe?
If you are wanting a game day appetizer that is sure to get rave reviews, you can dress your cream cheese mixture up. Doing so will take a good cheese ball and turn it into the best cheese ball recipe period. It is the perfect way to take a good party appetizer and make it a great party appetizer.
You can dress your cheese ball up by:
- Adding bacon bits
- Changing the type of nuts you use
- Adding fresh chives
- Adding a packet of ranch seasoning with bacon pieces to create a bacon ranch cheese ball
- Adding cayenne pepper to your cheese ball ingredients
- Adding a few ounces of blue cheese
- Adding a splash of lemon juice to give it a tangy taste
- Adding green onions
- Serve with a buffalo chicken dip to intensify the flavor of both of your favorite appetizers.
What is the best way to mix my cheese ball recipe?
For most additions, adding them to the cream cheese mixture and combining them together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon will be sufficient. You can use a stand mixer or an electric mixer, and large bowl but it is not necessary. As long as the block of cream cheese are softened to room temperature, you should be able to combine the ingredients and form it into a ball shape onto wax paper without the addition of any other kitchen tools.
However, you will want to crush the pecans in a food processor to help get them to the size you need.
Where To Serve Classic Cheese Ball
As I said earlier, this cheese ball recipe is a great appetizer to serve at any special event. Whether it be a holiday gathering for the family, a New Year’s Eve bash,, the next holiday party your work serves or a small Christmas party for your own family, it is sure to become one of your favorite appetizers. It may even become one of your favorite recipes period!
In fact, I am sure that the only problem you will have with this recipe is there are never any leftovers!
Classic Cheeseball Recipe
- Stand Mixer OR
- 2 8 oz. Cream Cheese softened
- ⅓ c. Sour Cream
- ¾ c. Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ¾ c. Monterey Jack shredded
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 c. Pecans Chopped
- ½ tsp. Red Hot Sauce Optional
- Combine softened cream cheese, sour cream, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, and Red Hot sauce in a medium mixing bowl until creamy smooth.2 8 oz. Cream Cheese, 1/3 c. Sour Cream, 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder, 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder, 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper, 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce, 1/2 tsp. Red Hot Sauce
- Add the shredded cheeses and combine well.3/4 c. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 3/4 c. Monterey Jack
- Separate the mixture into 4 equal parts and form into balls.
- Roll each cream cheese ball in the pecan pieces.1 c. Pecans
- Refrigerate at least 30-minutes before servings.