If you love whoopie pies, these pumpkin spice whoopie pies are bound to be a new favorite! Made with a cream cheese filling and full of fall flavors, they’re perfect for dessert or whenever you need a pumpkin spice fix!
Fall is one of my favorite seasons for more than just cooler Texas temperatures. I absolutely adore pumpkin spice recipes! The flavor is very calming and soothing to me which makes it the perfect treat in my opinion. It just doesn’t feel like September or October without my favorite pumpkin recipes.
These recipe for pumpkin spice whoopie pies is one of my favorite fall recipes hands down. It is second only to my pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling.
Okay, and pumpkin doughnuts, pumpkin fudge, pumpk-I digress.
What is a Whoopie Pie?
A whoopie pie is a combo of a cake and a sandwich cookie with a really tasty filling in between. In these pumpkin whoopie pies specifically, the moist cake layer is where the pumpkin spice flavor is held in this particular recipe with the whoopie pie filling creating a layer very reminiscent of the cream cheese filling found in a pumpkin roll.
In other words, fans of both cake or cookies will both enjoy whoopie pies.
What State Do Whoopie Pies Come From?
Believe it or not, whoopie pies were an Pennsylvania Amish recipe originally. The Amish are very much a society that believes in reducing waste as much as possible. So to avoid waste, Amish women would drop cake batter onto prepared baking sheets and bake it.
Once it was baked, they would then top it with another frosting mound and add a yummy frosting in between. From there, the dessert spread to New England and other states!
What’s the Best Way to Store Whoopie Pies?
If possible, store them in a single layer, however, you can stagger them in the container if necessary. They can weigh quite a bit for a cake or cookie which means you won’ t want them directly on top of each other. Doing so could result in the cake on the bottom being crushed.
Should Whoopie Pies Be Refrigerated?
If your whoopie pie recipes or filling recipe calls for butter, buttermilk, cream cheese or any other ingredient we normally refrigerate, you will want to store in the fridge.
However, if your filling mixture does not have any ingredients like that, they can tolerate being held at room temperature for a few days. Marshmallow fluff is not one of the ingredients that needs to be kept in the refrigerator even though it may seem as if it should be.
Can I Freeze Whoopie Pies?
Yes! Whoopie pies freeze incredibly well! To freeze whoopie pies, follow the recipe as stated and ensure they are fully cooled. Once cooled, wrap individually and freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, store in a solid airtight storage container.
How Long Do Whoopie Pies Last in the Freezer?
Technically, whoopie pies will last around ninety days in the freezer, however, it is best to eat them within the first thirty days. After that they will start to lose flavor.
To thaw, remove them from the freezer and remove the individual pies from the storage container. Thaw them in the fridge on a wire rack or shelf. Do not try to keep them in the container as they may thaw soggy due to condensation.
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
For the Whoopie Pies:
For the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F and grease the cookie sheet. While it is preheating, combine the cake mix, pudding, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, ½ nutmeg, vegetable oil, eggs and water in a large mixing bowl.1 box Yellow Cake Mix, 1 pkg. Vanilla Instant Pudding, 1 15 oz Can Pumpkin, 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon, 1 tsp. Ground Ginger, ¾ tsp. Nutmeg, 1/3 c. Vegetable Oil, 3 Eggs, 1/3 c. Water
- Stir well and mix until well blended.
- Spoon out 2-3 tbsp. batter onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350˚ for the time stated on the box or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once your cakes are cool, turn one cake so flat side facing upwards. Using a spoon or piping bag with tip, fill the flat side with filling about as thick as the cake itself. Top with another cake piece and sprinkle powdered sugar over the top if desired.Powdered Sugar
For the Filling:
- In another large mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, the remaining cinnamon, nutmeg and the marshmallow crème. Mix until smooth and gently fold in the whipped topping making sure it’s all combined well.8 oz. Cream Cheese, 1 c. Marshmallow Crème, 1 c. Whipped Topping