When it comes to comfort food it doesn’t get much better than a classic ground beef shepherd’s pie – but with this delectable mac and cheese ground beef shepherd’s pie recipe, you can elevate the dish to something truly spectacular! Packed with bold, savory flavors and creamy, cheesy goodness, this meal is sure to become an instant family favorite!
Sometimes, you just want something warm, filling and comforting for dinner that won’t take you hours to make. For me, my comfort food is mac and cheese. If I can find a way to incorporate mac and cheese into a meal; I absolutely 100% will. For my husband, comfort food is a hearty plate of shepherd’s pie.
Can I put ground beef in mac and cheese?
Of course! How do you think Hamburger Helper started out? Ground beef and mac and cheese go together like salt and pepper to be honest! That’s why making shepherd’s pie with mac and cheese works so well!
The recipe is a twist on the classic shepherd’s pie, which is a traditional British dish made with ground lamb or mutton, vegetables, and mashed potatoes. However, some people use ground beef instead of lamb or mutton, and this version is called a cottage pie.
What is the difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie?
The main difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie is the type of meat used. Shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb or mutton, while cottage pie is made with ground beef.
Historically, shepherd’s pie was a way to use up leftover roast lamb from Sunday dinner, while cottage pie was a way to use up leftover beef from a weekday meal. Nowadays, the terms are often used interchangeably, and many people use ground beef for both dishes.
The other difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie is the vegetables used. Traditional shepherd’s pie is made with carrots, peas, and sometimes onions, while cottage pie often includes other vegetables such as celery, mushrooms, or bell peppers. Both dishes are topped with creamy mashed potatoes, which form a crispy golden crust when baked in the oven.
It is also a great way to use up any leftover mac and cheese from a previous meal.
The ground beef provides protein and flavor, while the mac and cheese adds a creamy sauce and a cheesy kick you just can’t find with a classic shepherd’s pie recipe!
Can I freeze mac and cheese shepherd’s pie with ground beef?
But is this dish freezer-friendly? The answer is yes! To freeze mac and cheese ground beef shepherd’s pie, simply assemble the dish in a freezer-safe container, cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and then wrap again with another layer of plastic wrap or foil.
Label the container with the date and the name of the dish, and then freeze for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat frozen shepherd’s pie?
To reheat the frozen shepherd’s pie, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and remove the plastic wrap or foil from the container. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until heated through and the top is golden brown and crispy. If the top is getting too brown, cover loosely with foil for the remaining cooking time.
How to make shepherd’s pie with macaroni and cheese
Overall, mac and cheese and a classic shepherd’s pie recipe combine to create a delicious and frugal way to feed a family. It is a hearty and comforting dish that can be made with simple ingredients and easily adapted to suit different tastes.
Whether you prefer traditional shepherd’s pie or cottage pie with ground beef, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite. And with the option to freeze it for later, you can make a big batch and enjoy it whenever you want!
Mac and Cheese Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1 Colander
- Preheat over to 400°F. Cook and crumble 1 lb Ground beefwith 1 tbsp Garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp Onion powder, Salt and Black Pepper until brown. Drain well.1 lb Ground beef, 1 tbsp Garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp Onion powder, Salt, Black Pepper
- Fill medium saucepan halfway with water while the ground beef is cooking. Bring to a boil, add 1 box Macaroni & cheese and cook 6 minutes. Pasta will be tender, but not completely soft. Drain well and return to the saucepan. Add 1 Tbsp Butter cheese packet and1/4 C Milk and stir well to combine. Set aside.1 box Macaroni & cheese, 1 Tbsp Butter, 1/4 C Milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 12 oz Mixed vegetables and 26 oz Cream of mushroom soup. Stir until well combined.12 oz Mixed vegetables, 26 oz Cream of mushroom soup
- Add ground beef and stir well. Pour vegetable/meat mixture into casserole dish and smooth out evenly.
- Top with prepared mac and cheese. Bake at 400° F 20 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Remove from oven and top with 1/2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve hot.1/2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
- Nutrition facts are auto-calculated and may not be 100% correct. Please use discretion if you follow a special diet.
- Pasta will be al-dente’ when baked. If you prefer a softer pasta, boil it for 8 minutes before baking.
- Shredded cheese may be omitted without affecting taste.
- If pasta gets too crispy in the oven, cover with foil to prevent burning.