This post may contain affiliate or referral links that help keep this site running. For more information about this, please see our Disclosure Policy. As an associate of Amazon.com/Amazon.uk/Amazon.ca/and other websites, I may earn a small commission whenever you click through a link from this site. This commission helps to support this site and keep it running. Six Dollar Family is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com/Amazon.uk/Amazon.ca.
For as long as I can remember, colder winter months have meant one thing; a warm cup of homemade hot chocolate. While I still adore a regular milk chocolate cocoa recipe, as I have gotten older, my taste buds have branched out a bit. These days I prefer something along the lines of this white peppermint hot chocolate recipe. If you love Starbucks White Peppermint hot cocoa recipe, you will adore this one just as much – if not more!
If you’re looking for a new Christmas Eve or morning tradition, this white peppermint hot chocolate recipe is perfect! It comes together on the stove in just a few minutes and the flavor is absolutely amazing!
White Chocolate Peppermint Hot Cocoa Recipe
While this particular cocoa recipe calls for white chocolate chips, you can easily swap them out and make a true homemade hot chocolate recipe by using milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips (Amazon).
In fact, the versatility of this recipe is one of the reasons I love making it so much. It’s simply all too easy to change it up!
How to Make a New Christmas Tradition
As I said earlier, this white peppermint hot chocolate recipe is great for making new Christmas traditions. In fact, it has become a solid staple of my own Christmas Eve with my family since the first batch we’ve made.
It goes great with a favorite Christmas movie – my personal favorite is THIS version of “The Nativity Story” (Amazon) – or with a treasured book such as “The Night Before Christmas” (Amazon) or “The Polar Express” (Amazon).
How to Use Elf on the Shelf with a Copycat Starbucks White Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
You can even use your Elf on the Shelf (Amazon) with it to surprise your littles! There are a lot of ways, but two that I love the idea of are to seal the ingredients in a pretty bag with Christmas ribbon (Amazon) and leave the instructions from the elf on a note saying how good they had been to deserve a treat.
The second Elf on the Shelf idea would be to make a batch in secret and leave your elf with cups already filled ready to be drank after bathtime for your kiddos.
You Will Need:
- 2 c. milk, whole or 2% – do not used skim or 1%
- 1 c. white chocolate chips (Amazon)
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract (Amazon)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (Amazon)
- Whipped cream(Using THIS recipe for best results)
- Crushed Candy Canes, Andes Mint Bars or Crushed Oreo Cookies (optional)
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
This peppermint hot cocoa recipe is great topped with whipped cream, but if you really want to kick it up a notch, use real, homemade whipped cream. I personally love to use THIS method for whipped cream (Six Dollar Family). It really makes a super yummy addition!
Do you have a favorite mug? I do and I always treat myself using it! Curious which mug is my favorite? It’s THIS truckers wife mug I found on Etsy not too long ago! I absolutely adore it!
White Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Heavy Bottom Pot
- Measuring Spoons
- Stirring Spoon
- 2 c milk
- 1 c white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream optional, for garnish
- Andes peppermints, crushed Oreo cookies, or crushed candy canes optional, for garnish
- Add milk and white chocolate chips to medium heavy bottom pot. Heat over medium/low until chocolate it fully melted stirring constantly.
- Add peppermint and vanilla extracts. Stir well and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Serve hot. Garnish with whipped cream and crushed Andes mints, crushed candy canes or crushed Oreo cookies.
- Can be made with milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips for a true homemade hot chocolate recipe.
- For best results, serve with homemade whipped cream using THIS recipe.