This post may contain affiliate or referral links that help keep this site running. For more information about this, please see our Disclosure Policy. As an associate of Amazon.com/Amazon.uk/Amazon.ca/and other websites, I may earn a small commission whenever you click through a link from this site. This commission helps to support this site and keep it running. Six Dollar Family is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com/Amazon.uk/Amazon.ca.
Whether you’re looking for a gluten free chicken recipe or just a great dinner recipe, this cast iron chicken and vegetables skillet meal is perfect for any dinner table.
Do you cook in cast iron? I have for years and absolutely love using my cast iron skillets. They’re just so versatile! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, baking and camping; a cast iron skillet is incredibly useful in every single situation. What I don’t love though are sink loads of dirty dishes. I don’t know anyone who does, do you? That’s why this chicken and vegetable skillet meal is so great!
Chicken is one of my favorite meats to cook because it too is quite versatile. It doesn’t really matter how you prepare it; there’s probably a recipe for it and chicken recipes are usually pretty easy to cook.
This chicken skillet meal is no different and it’s oh so easy to make!
Gluten Free Chicken and Vegetables Skillet Meal
You can make this chicken and vegetables recipe in any skillet, but I highly recommend that you use a cast iron skillet if you don’t already have one.
If you don’t already own a cast iron skillet, I highly recommend you purchase one. They really are a sound investment. Learn how to take care of cast iron (HERE) and it will last for the rest of your life and generations after.
I personally own several, but THIS is my favorite set and the one I use most often.
Can This Gluten Free Chicken and Vegetables be Frozen?
Yes! This gluten free chicken and vegetables recipe is freezer friendly! To freeze it, cook as directed. Allow it to cool entirely then freeze flat in ziploc bags or airtight freezer containers.
If you’re new to freezer cooking, be sure to hop over and check out THIS list of must-have freezer cooking supplies.
I don’t know about you, but that makes this recipe extra special in my book!
How to Make Chicken and Vegetables Skillet Dinner a Pantry Meal
While fresh ingredients are best, this chicken and vegetables skillet meal can be made into a pantry meal quite easily.
How to Make Chicken and Vegetables Skillet Meal a Camping Recipe
We love to camp and this is one camping recipe I can’t get enough of!
Seriously. My family knows I will make it every single time we go camping.
Since it turns out incredibly well in a cast iron skillet, it is just perfect for camping!
If you do use it as a camping recipe, you’ll need to cook it over an open fire. If you’ve never done that, I have a few tips for cooking on a campfire HERE (Six Dollar Family).
Chicken and Vegetables Ingredients
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast – or canned chicken (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 4 c. potatoes, diced
- 4 c. green beans (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic or 2-3 tbsp minced garlic (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional (Amazon), (Thrive Market)
- 1/2 tsp salt, optional
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, optional
Kitchen Supplies Needed
- Cast Iron Skillet (Amazon) or
- 9 x 13 baking dish (Amazon)
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Sharp kitchen knife
What Vegetables Go Well With Chicken & Vegetables Skillet Meal?
The main recipe uses green beans and potatoes, but it’s perfectly fine to add extra vegetables if you’d like!
I sure do a lot of the time!
If you’re looking to add more vegetables, cubed zucchini and broccoli both make great additions. To add them, follow the recipe below and pull the dish out with 15 minutes left to spare. Add your additions and finish baking.
Gluten Free Chicken and Vegetables Skillet Meal
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Dry Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Sharp Kitchen Knife
- 2 Small Mixing Bowls
- 1 lb Boneless, skinless chicken breast Cut into thin strips
- 4 c Potatoes diced
- 4 c Green beans
- 1 medium red onion sliced thinly
- 1 medium garlic clove Or 2-3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 8 Tbsp Butter 1 stick
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt optional
- 1/2 tsp black pepper optional
- Preheat over to 450° F. Wash and Dice potatoes. and Slice Onions thinly. If you're using garlic cloves, peel and mince it. Combine dry spices in a small bowl.
- Cut Chicken into thin strips and add to a small mixing bowl. Sprinkly 1/2 the seasoning mix onto the chicken and make sure it's coated well.
- Add potatoes, chicken and green beans to a cast iron skillet or 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle remaining seasoning over potatoes and green beans.
- Sprinkle the onions, garlic and pats of butter randomly over the skillet.
- Bake at 450° F approximately 45 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear and potatoes are tender.