Welcome to the first update of our 2015 Grocery Challenge! If you missed the intro post about what my challenge is and why I’m doing it, you can head over HERE to the welcome post and check it out! Basically, my grocery budget went way out in left field during 2014 so for 2015? We’re putting that bad boy back in check! My good friends over at The Frugal Navy Wife and Freetail Therapy have also decided to join me in my challenge as well and we’re all asking the same question…
How long can we go?! 🙂
At the beginning of January, 2015, I set my grocery budget REALLY high. I know, the whole point of this thing is to cut back on expenses, but here’s the thing…my family and I have been living off of our stockpile for months now and guess what? It’s all gone! I seriously haven’t been in a grocery store for more than milk since October so now that we’ve been using those stored items? I have to replace them! Hence, a high grocery budget for January. I may use it all, I may not! We shall see at the end of the month!
Total Grocery budget for January 2015: $300.00
To start the month, we went and grabbed milk, bread and 5 dozen eggs and a couple of other odds and ends for a total spend of $22.41. I used iBotta, Checkout51 and Snap to get a couple of dollars cash back on my shopping making my out of pocket (oop) cost lower. If you’re not familiar with them, they ALL pay you cash back for buying groceries!! You can check out iBotta HERE, Checkout51 HERE and Snap HERE. Total spent after cash back: $18.41
Then, yesterday I hit up CVS and score some GREAT deals! Here’s the breakdown for you:
(4) L’Oreal Shampoo & Conditioner
(4) Renuzit Adjutables Christmas Scents
(1) Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup
(2) Progressive Chicken Noodle Soup
(1) Nature Made Gummies
(2) Cadberry Eggs
(3) Lipton Tea Bags
(3) Special K cereal
(1) Colgate Max White
(1) Colgate 360 Toothbrush
(4) Schick Razors
(5) Christmas Candy Clearance
(4) $2/1 L’oreal Shampoo or Conditioner coupon found HERE
(1) $2/1 Nature Made Gummies coupon found HERE
(1) $1/1 Bengay Coupon found HERE
(1) 75/2 Lipton Tea coupon found in the 01/04/SS
(1) $1/1 Lipton Tea printable (No Longer Avail.)
(1) $1/3 Special K Cereal coupon
(1) .50/1 Colgate toothpaste coupon from the 1/4 SS
(1) .50/1 Colgate Toothbrush coupon from the 1/4 SS
(1) $1.50/1 Colgate coupon from the magic coupon machine
(1) $3/10 Razors CVS coupon from the magic coupon machine
(2) BOGO Shick Razors coupon found HERE
(1) .50/1 Campbells Soup CVS coupon from the magic coupon machine
I did (6) different transactions and ended up paying just $16.45 out of pocket!! I ended with $1.00 ECB making my final Net Cost just $15.45 for well over $200.00 in items! The razors alone were over $40.00 before coupons ($9.49 and $10.49 for each type).
Total Remaining Grocery Budget for Jan 2015: $261.14
I have a few shopping trips lined up for the coming week and then we’ll be done for most of the month. We shall see what happens!
Say YES to our emails and grab a FREE copy of The Ultimate Guide to Cutting Your Household Expenses! We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. You will receive up to 5 emails per week from Six Dollar Family.
Click here to learn how you can create a money making blog too!
Ready to take your blog to the next level? You need a mentor! Let me help you reach your blogging goals!
Latest posts by Stacy Barr (see all)
- Ways to Save Money on Groceries – 11 Tips for Saving Money on Meat - January 16, 2017
- How to Watch TV Online for Free - January 14, 2017
- My Favorite Peanut Butter Meringue Pie Recipe - January 13, 2017